Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Turkey Trot - Recap

Happy Thanksgiving! 
At 4:00 a.m. my husbands alarm went off and the nerves began to set in.
I couldn't eat, I couldn't hydrate, I didn't know what to wear ... I was a mess! My (ever proving to be more patient) husband helped me choose an outfit, and then (of course) choose another outfit! I then proceeded to  be extremely bratty! 

Anyone remember what happened at the Miami Children's 5K? Yeah, stuck in the parking garage, missed the start of the race. You know. ... it was awesome. ... (recap here)

I was absolutely NOT going to be late again. We left early and made it in time to get perfect parking. Our parking spot was on the first row right outside of the finish line area! We made our way to the starting line and had some fun. 

Since we already picked up our packets, we didn't really need to do anything so we just spent our time hanging out. 

We stretched, we watched them set everything up (haha, yes...we were THAT early!) and took some fun pictures!

Fun Fact: Right before this jumping picture was taken ... I was almost hit by a car. Obviously, I wasn't paying attention.  Anyway! The start of the race was really chaotic. I'm pretty sure it felt so chaotic because it was a sold out crowd and both the 5K and the 10K started at the same time. When we finally got through the start of the race and everyone kind of disbursed, I felt great! My adrenaline was pumping and I was smiling so big because some of the guys were gobbling like turkeys throughout the race and I couldn't stop laughing. It was a lot of fun! 

Anyway! When we got almost to the end of the 5K it hit me ... we weren't stopping at mile 3. We had to keep going. ... I truly started to tear up at the thought of running 3 more miles. Whatever, my husband (#1 fan) was cheering me on and I got my second wind! I stuck to the right and continued on.
 For the first 4 miles, my husband looked completely annoyed at me. I kept telling him "I'm sorry, I'm doing my best, I'll try to run some more" etc... Finally, at about mile 5 he was like "hey, your doing really well!"  - with THAT vote of confidence, I picked it up a little more and I was able to finish. 

I must tell you, my current pace at this point of time is about 15 minutes per mile. With that, I estimated it would take me about 1 hour and 45 minutes to finish.  As you might imagine, I was SUPER happy when THIS happened! 

Yep! I PR'd! (Okay, it was my first 10K - BUT I was faster than anticipated!)

Hi, my name is Erin and I just PR'd!!!
I was so excited, and SO tired at the end. I spent the rest of the day "I just ran a 10K, I just ran a 10K, I just ran a 10K, I just ran a 10K" haha Sorry to everyone who follows me on FB, Twitter and Instagram. I was addicted to posting pictures!  

Here are my official stats from the website!

At the end of the day we had a traditional Thanksgiving Meal with the Puerto Rican side of the family. I had my hair all done, my make up on and a new dress. Due to the freezing Miami weather (63 degrees) my hair went into a pony tail and a sweat shirt went on over my dress! Yes, I was dressed up for SOME of the dinner  at least. ... 

Question: Did you run a turkey trot this year? 

p.s. my husband told me he was acting disappointed so i'd try harder (he knows me too well!)

Post a Comment

Is Robert is Here really the Disney World of Fruit Stands?

After your visit to the Everglades National Park in Homestead, you are not  going to want to miss Robert is Here.   Located not too far fro...